Saturday, August 22, 2009

A few more tips

Every speech therapist I see, recommends me talking in rhythm by patting a table or my own leg. Like this: re-com-mend: tap-tap-tap. You tap with each syllable.
When I pay much attention, it seems to work, but it is against my nature. I always confuse whether to tap my hand or focus on my mouth or what. I don’t feel comfortable with this method.
Instead I have another method: With multisyllable words I start by saying the last syllable and then the last two syllables, and the last three etc…
Congratulations: (kon-gra-chu-lei-shens)
shens
ei-shens
lei-shens
chu-lei-shens
ra-chu-lei-shens
gra-chu-lei-shens
kon-gra-chu-lei-shens
I find this method to be especially useful in Turkish, my mother tongue, because unlike English it is based on one word plus many suffixes.

No comments: